THE CROWN CHAKRA – SHAHASTRARA
This chakra is located at the top of the head and corresponds to two glands:
The hypothalamus is located in the back part of the brain, just behind the point at which the optic nerves cross. It connects the conscious mind with the rest of the body by connecting the higher centres of the cerebral cortex with the lower brain centres and the endocrine system. It also controls many important nervous system functions including appetite and body temperature.
The pituitary gland is often referred to as the ‘master gland’ as many of the hormones it secretes directly affect other glands around the body.
The anterior pituitary secretes 7 hormones:
- growth hormone
- prolactin – triggers and maintains lactation
- thyroid stimulating hormone
- adrenocorticotropic hormone – stimulates the growth and development of the cortex of the adrenal gland
- follicle stimulating hormone – in females this stimulates the growth and development of egg follicles in the ovaries and in males it stimulates the development of spermatozoa
- luteinising hormone – completes the process of follicle development in the female and plays a role in testosterone production in the male
- melanocyte stimulating hormone – associated with control of colour changes in pigment cells
The posterior pituitary stores 2 hormones made in the hypothalamus:
- antidiuretic hormone, which helps the body conserve water
- oxytocin which plays a role in aiding sperm to travel to connect with the egg after sex, and also in the delivery of the foetus and placenta at birth. In addition it has an effect on the mammary glands during lactation.
The body parts influenced by this chakra are
- cerebral cortex
- central nervous system
The colour of this chakra is violet to white;
its sense is the sense of ‘knowing’;
its element is thought;
its function is understanding.
It is associated with fasting.
If this chakra is balanced it allows us to appreciate inner and outer beauty. It gives us our connection to spirituality and the experience of pure bliss. It allows you to feel immense gratitude for teh universal love and appreciation you feel towards yourself and others.
When it is out of balance it can result in depression, alienation, confusion, boredom, apathy and an inability to learn. You might feel unworthy of spiritual help and angry that your higher power has abandoned you. You might experience migraines and tension headaches.
This chakra is related to pure consciousness. Energy from this level gradually becomes more dense as it travels down towards the base which is how thought becomes translated into matter in manifestation. Travelling in the opposite direction our energies grow and develop through our lives leading us from solid matter to connecting with consciousness and the Divine.
Our energies can fluctuate during the day, and our chakras can be more or less open in any given situation depending on what ‘pushes our buttons’.
Why not take some time to pay attention to how you’re feeling — whereabouts in your body do you feel tension / pain / ease / lightness?
Are there repeating patterns in your life? Do they serve you or do they leave you feeling stuck?
If any of this has resonated for you I’d love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a comment or contact me if you’d like to ask any questions or discuss things further:
(This post was taken from my article on the chakras. You can read the full text here)